Monday, August 18, 2008

Greenworks Soap Review

I don't do reviews for things I don't use. I mean, what's the point?
But soap? Well, yes I do tend to use that. I like things clean. Unfortunately, I am Sisyphus in my quest to also have things tidy. So, clean it is.

I do live in a remote mountainous area. It is beautiful and rugged, this mountain, but also fragile; evidenced by the recent fire which threatened our home. This was a reminder to most of the residents up here to tread lightly.

Everyone in our area has a well. Which means that we need to protect the ground for ourselves, our neighbors, our environment.
Which is why Greenworks Soap was appealing to me. Greenworks products are 99% natural, biodegradable, and not tested on animals. No phosphorous. No bleach.
Bring it on.
So they did.
('They' would be Momcentral.)


The first thing I noticed about Greenworks soap is that it is green.
I understand why the manufacturer wanted to color the soap (LOOK! We are GREEN! Even the color GREEN helps to remind you that this is a GREEN product!), but personally? I see the color and think that must be the 1% that isn't natural. Sure enough, the soap is colored with what is listed in the ingredients as 'blue and yellow colorant'. I guess if it is not food-based then they don't have to list the source. And to be fair, although we do avoid artificial colors in our diet, we are not planning on eating this soap.

Instead of eating it, I decided to use it for it's intended purpose.
Bring on the dirty dishes!

The scent of this soap is very nice, I have to admit. Reminds me of an orange and green tea combination.
It's slightly thinner than regular dish soap, so of course I put it in the pump dispenser so I didn't use too much at once.
It works!
I had a few things to wash by hand; some cake pans (caked with buttery cake scum), a crusty cheese grater, a greasy grill pan, and a sticky frosting bowl.
Everything came right off, and rinsed clean without any residual film or smell. Even the seven-minute frosting came right off - and that stuff is like edible plaster. Delicious plaster, but still.

I would rather see this available in a 'clear liquid' version - I don't need to see green to believe green.
But overall, good stuff!

No comments: