Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What Melts in Your Mouth, Not in Your Hand? My Kids Faces! On My M&M's.


Mom Central offered me the opportunity to try out some custom M&M's, through MyM&Ms.com and I am never one to turn down chocolate.

I was very excited to get these for my mother and my MIL; since we weren't going to make the 3000 mile trek back east this year, it seemed like a whimsical substitute to offer them edible faces of my children instead.

Ordering proved to be somewhat of a challenge. Their website does not save information, even after creating an account, so it was frustrating to have to upload the same photos repeatedly.
The good news is that this is ultimately correctable, and easily improved upon (I did suggest the hire dh, web designer extraordinaire, but no response to that one) if they put in the effort.

Eventually, I was put in touch with a representative who took my information and jpegs via email, so we could expedite the order.
These are custom made, so order with plenty of time to spare before your estimated time of candy needs.
The first thing that impressed me was the amazing array of 22 colors available from MyM&Ms.com! It is like every shade of every holiday M&M color ever made, available to you in a rainbow of shiny candies on the screen.
I got to choose three colors for my custom M&M's, as I had chosen the photo upload option, which allowed me two messages and two photos. I was going for a traditional holiday theme for the grandmothers, so I chose red, white, and green, but it felt like a boring choice to me when I had all those other colors from which to choose
The final product is fun enough that I thought it outweighed the ordering glitches.


I would stick with light colors - as you can see, the white ones printed the best quality picture, but pastels would work just as well. I suggest you stay away from red, as the faces were most difficult to make out when printed on that color.

I have some doubts that the faces we sent to the grandmothers will actually get eaten, but I tried. We of course, had to try them - for quality control purposes - and they taste exactly like M&M's! Because, you know they are. My adorable babies' faces may have made them taste just a little sweeter.

Personally, I prefer the peanut M&M's. I guess they don't print well on the lumpy ones. I can see why though, because I had a hard enough time getting them to hold still and stop spinning long enough to take a picture, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to hold those little guys down and paint each one. (I kid!)

This was a great novelty to send to our relatives - the most fun in giving this gift was the surprise when they realized just why those M&M's were so special!

2 comments:

Rachel Inbar said...

That is so wild! The kids must be thrilled too :-)

Anonymous said...

I got the fruit-roll-ups like this last year at Valentines and Easter and put my daycare's picture on them and name and gave them out to my daycare kids...that was a major hit! These are awesome!